The Falls Village Equity Project is an open group of Falls Village residents whose mission is to build community in Falls Village.
We are committed to promoting equity — where all residents’ voices and experiences are valued — regardless of ethnicity, nationality, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, economic status, religious beliefs, or differing abilities.
The Falls Village Equity Project is an initiative of the Falls Village Community Development Corporation and fulfills a SustainableCT certification requirement.
Just formed in 2021, our group intends to organize community projects and gatherings, including interactive art installments, movie nights, educational talks, and equity workshops to advance a culture of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and reflect the core value of the town's Statement of Values.
If you would like to receive notices about our activities, join our group of organizers, or share your ideas for activities, we’d love to hear from you. Please email: email@example.com
Dear Equity Enthusiast,
The Falls Village Equity Project would like to thank you for your interest in equity.
As we work to find ways of cultivating conversations, connection and awareness around equity, we welcome your voice. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.
What follows is a summary of some of our recent news, including opportunities to get involved.
● FIRST STEPS: Recently, Falls Village (Town of Canaan) received a Bronze certification from Sustainable CT for work in various categories—including Equity. Following the adoption, earlier this year, of a Statement of Values centered around equity and inclusivity—which can be found on the Town website and in the Town Hall—we have continued to meet and work together to try to put these values into action.
● READING: Members of Falls Village Equity Group will be reading the book Everyday Racism in the New Year, and will meet to discuss the book. Email us at FVequitygroup@gmail.com (or reply to this email) if you’d like to participate.
● READING: AntiRacism NWC Bookgroup will resume in the New Year, pivoting to the book Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You—which traces the history of racist ideas in America, and inspires hope for an antiracist future in a language that is accessible to nonacademics and academics alike. Email Maria at antiracismNWC@gmail.com if you’d like to participate.
● EQUITY TRAININGS: A few members of FVEP recently participated in Equity Trainings with Sustainable CT as well as with Racial Equity Institute, and were impressed with the programming and facilitators. If you are interested in hearing about similar Equity Trainings in the future, email us about it and we’ll keep you posted.
● FILM: FVEP recently watched a talk with Robin DiAngelo, PhD, and gathered to discuss the video. The talk, Racism on the Table, runs one hour in length, and is an eye-opening analysis of what it means to be white. If you are interested in meeting in person or on Zoom to discuss this talk after viewing it, email Maria at antiracismNWC@gmail.com.
● FILM: Please stay tuned as we work out the details for bringing the community together through the art of film—either with film discussions, or viewings followed by discussions.
● ART: We are looking forward to partnering with a brilliant local artist and the D.M. Hunt Library to offer community art workshops around equity and diversity in the Spring, culminating in a community Rainbow Crosswalk painting in downtown Falls Village, to commemorate the Juneteenth holiday (June 19), and Pride Month. Please stay tuned.
● IMAGINE: We invite you to think about ways in which Falls Village may become a more inclusive, diverse and welcoming community for all. What might this look like for you? We welcome your ideas and voices.
● FVEP will offer an “Open House” Zoom meeting in the future, in order to engage with more members of the community. We’ll announce the invitation in a future email, so stay tuned.
If you are interested in helping FVEP more proactively by joining our small core group, you know what to do… Email us! Our group meets at least monthly, sometimes more often, in order to support each member’s personal journey in understanding Equity values and issues within our community, and to explore ideas for engaging the community in this work.
Please help us strengthen our connections by sharing this newsletter with any friends who may be interested in our work. As always, you may email us your ideas and thoughts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Happy Thanksgiving and Indigenous Peoples’ Day (and Month!) from all of us!
We look forward to connecting with you all.
We welcome additional Falls Village citizens to our group who share our values of promoting equity in our town. As of September 2021, our group includes Calpurnia Carter, Maria Grusauskas, Felicia Jones, Julia Olff, Carol Taylor and Amy Wynn. You are welcome to email us at FVEquityGroup@gmail.com